- What They're Saying
- From The Back Cover
- Supplemental Reference Guide
- Meet the Author and Illustrator
- Author and Illustrator Bios
- G&SFB Sample Art
- Buy the Book
Gender & Sexuality For Beginners is on sale now. Buy directly from me for an exclusive signed copy at less than cover price! (If you let me know who the book is for, I’ll even write them a personalized note.)
Gender and Sexuality For Beginners
Now on curriculum at more than a dozen universities, G&SFB was recently anthologized in Gay City Volume 6: UpClose Personal.
What They're Saying
“This is a book for everyone: useful, smart, opinionated, surprising... Even more important, and this is not something I get to say very often: If a copy of it were to land in the right pair of hands, this is a book that could save a life.” -The Stranger
“…an articulate tour through diverse histories, addressing both popular and obscure texts from across the world, and in a variety of general and academic disciplines…The few paragraphs that authors receive in the spotlight are accompanied by level-headed analyses by Garbacik, building toward a conclusion that argues for a widely progressive political agenda.” -Publishers Weekly
“…a beautifully written and accessible exploration of a variety of gender-related topics.” -Flavorwire
“A genuinely subversive book that, better than most post-modern philosophers, undermines efforts to push, stamp, file, and index people into rigid categories, no matter the personal cost.” -The Front Page Online
“A challenging and engaging page-turner, this book could change the way Americans perceive gender, orientation, and the practices that promote heteronormativity. With precision and lucidity, Garbacik manages an impressive feat: she presents readers with an accessible history of the evolvement of our society’s basic tenets surrounding gender and sexuality. What’s more, she turns many widely held assumptions directly on their head, leaving us with the disquieting sense that, when it comes to understanding the differences between men and women, we may have been misled.” -Dr. Belisa Vranich, author, clinical psychologist, and media personality
From the Back Cover
What does sexual orientation signify if the very categories of gender are unsettled? There is no consensus on where one’s sex begins and ends, or what purpose the categories of masculine and feminine serve. Is it possible to promote equality while our society’s definitions of “male” and “female” continue to leave out much of the population? Although significant strides have been made in recent years on behalf of women’s, gay, and lesbian rights, there is still a large division between the law and dayto-day reality for LGBTQIA and female-identified individuals in American society.
Questioning biological definitions of gender and the sexes as forms of compulsory identification, Gender & Sexuality For Beginners critically examines the meaning and perpetuation of the gender construct in historical and contemporary contexts. It interweaves neurobiology, psychology, feminist, queer, and trans theory, as well as historical gay and lesbian activism, to offer new perspectives on gender inequality and to ultimately point to the ways in which the inadequate sex-gender system oppresses us all. Gender & Sexuality For Beginners illuminates how the evolution of gender roles and definitions of sexual orientation in American society are neither as objective nor as “natural” as we are often led to believe.
- The Stranger feature on G&SFB
- Publishers Weekly Review of G&SFB
- Flavorwire interviews Jeffrey Lewis about G&SFB
- The Front Page Online review of G&SFB
- The Mercurial feature on G&SFB
- My essay on music and G&SFB for Largehearted Boy
- The Bay Area Reporter puts G&SFB on its Summer Reading List
- Innocent Words blogs about G&SFB
- G&SFB makes the Dallas Voice Summer Reading List
To obtain a galley or Advanced Reading Copy of the book for review purposes, please contact Chris Estey of Big Freak Media.
Supplemental Reference Guide
Hate flipping to the back of the book every time you want to know where a quote came from or who performed a particular study? My publisher created a downloadable Gender & Sexuality For Beginners Supplemental Reference Guide with my end notes, bibliography, and additional resources for an easier reading and teaching experience!
- Read the first chapter of G&SFB (unedited)
- For Beginners' site for G&SFB
- Facebook page for G&SFB
- My Illustrator, Jeffrey Lewis' site
Meet the author and illustrator
Jaimee Garbacik and Jeffrey Lewis’ G&SFB tour is over, but you can still catch Jaimee at other exciting events! (A list of previous tour dates is archived here.)
- Apr. 11, 2017 - Seattle, WA - Ghosts of Seattle Past anthology release and afterparty! - Elliott Bay Book Company, 7pm, JewelBox Theatre, 9:30pm
- Apr. 15, 2017 - New York, NY - Ghosts on Tour: Reading, Story Sharing, Map Pinning - Bluestockings - 7pm
- Apr. 18, 2017 - Philadelphia, PA - Ghosts on Tour: Story Sharing, Map Pinning and musical guest Elaine Rasnake - The Art Church - 7pm
- Apr. 20, 2017 - Washington, D.C. - Ghosts on Tour: Story Sharing, Map Pinning (w/ ONE DC and Sara Brickman) - The Potter's House - 7pm
- Apr. 25, 2017 - Portland, OR - Guest Lecture at Lewis & Clark College - Contact Jolina Ruckert to sit in - Psych of Gender Course - 1:50pm
- Apr. 28, 2017 - Portland, OR - Ghosts on Tour: Story Sharing, Map Pinning (w/ Know Your City) - IPRC - 7pm
- May 6, 2017 - Seattle, WA - Walking Tour of Yesler Way (w/ Atlas Obscura!) + Reading *This event is ticketed.* - Walk starts at Langston Hughes Performing Arts Ctr, 3:15pm; Reading at KOBO @ Higo, 4:05pm
Author and Illustrator Bios
Jaimee Garbacik is the owner and founder of Footnote Editorial. An editor, writer and publishing consultant, she has been privileged to work with New York Times bestselling authors, Caldecott Honor and Emmy Award recipients, and some of the world’s foremost scientists. Jaimee cut her teeth in publishing as the acquisitions editor for a major literary agency in Manhattan, handling editorial development for more than 200 clients worldwide. She has guest lectured at the University of Washington, Emerson College, Seattle University, and elsewhere, and has presented on gender and sexuality in bookstores, music venues, and community centers in ten cities. When not writing and editing, she can generally be found spray painting on windows.
Born and raised New Yorker Jeffrey Lewis is a comic book writer/artist and a musician. He has released a number of albums on the venerable indie label Rough Trade, and has been self-publishing his comic book series Fuff since 2004. In addition to his live apperances and tours around various corners of the globe, Jeffrey's work has been featured by the History Channel, NPR, the New York Times, the Guardian and elsewhere.
G&SFB Sample Art
Buy the Book
Or you can buy directly from me for an exclusive signed copy at less than cover price! (If you let me know who the book is for in the “special instructions to the seller” field, I’ll even write them a personalized note.)